Skip to main content

Napa Valley, CA

Sadly, my fourth visit to Napa was nearly ruined by a cold-turned-sinus infection that completely took out my senses of smell and taste.  Worst.  Timing.  Ever!  Thank goodness for a great husband and four wonderful friends who saved the trip for me.  Well, them, and the beautiful landscape that makes Napa my favorite vacation spot.

Here's a rundown of the trip.

Rental Home
This 3-bedroom, 2-bedroom farmhouse located about 7 minutes from Oxbow Market is quiet and perfect for 6 people.  It has been updated and re-decorated and was well-stocked with supplies needed for a relaxing stay.  Unfortunately for future vacationers and the homeowner, David LaMonica, one set of neighbors complained to the county after a very loud party night from guests staying there at the time.  It has been removed from VRBO, but it would be worth a look if you would like David's contact information.  He is hanging onto the house for "family and friends."

Wineries - Napa
The Terraces - Love, love, love Terraces!  If you visit, I promise that it will be one of the most laid-back experiences you will have.  Tours are usually conducted by Monica (the hospitality manager), Emmy (new blood to the team), or Dominic (the winemaker).  Both the wine and the hospitality are fantastic!

Peju - Another favorite of ours.  Great reds, beautiful tasting room, lush garden.  We had a great wine guide in Scott, an older gentleman with a fun personality.  This continues to be a winery I highly recommend.

Jamieson Ranch - Unfortunately, the mini horses were recovering from an illness so our friends didn't get to meet them, but our visit was relaxed and enjoyable.  Our friends agreed that JR is a great start to the day, and after the weekend, it was among the top of the list of favorites for them.  This winery is technically in American Canyon, not Napa.

Black Stallion - This was a quick stop on our way back down Silverado Trail.  They were getting ready to close and only giving splashes of wine to guests rather than a full tasting.  I would really like to revisit this place because the tasting room was nice, and the back patio area had a lot of seating. Very laid back atmosphere, and I hear that the wine was good.

Mumm - Sparkling wine was a special request from a couple members of our group, so I planned a stop at Mumm on Silverado Trail. It felt a little stuffy to me, but the two ladies enjoyed their bubbly.  I would stop by again if I was in the area and had time.  It was a little tough not to be able to try anything.

Whitehall Lane  - There was something about this visit that turned us off.  I think there is a changing of the guards that caused there to be a little tension in the air, but the wines were good.  They were generous enough to let us eat lunch on their grounds before our appointment was scheduled, but I think I've had my fill of Whitehall for a while.

Merryvale - We first visited in 2008, and our friends were looking for a quick stop before our scheduled appointment with Terraces.  We brought them to Merryvale since we couldn't remember much about it, and there was a deal on the winery app.  My husband didn't enjoy the wine, and in the short time I had some working taste buds, it wasn't good at all.  The facility is beautiful, though, and boasts a LARGE (read 23K gallon-sized) barrel that has a round table and chandelier in the center for special tastings.  Really a gorgeous facility, but don't go there for great wine.

Wineries - Sonoma
Gloria Ferrer - This last-minute decision turned out to be a nice way to start the day for our little group.  From what I hear, the bubbly is quite good, which I'm sure I'll discover when we open our group-consensus vintage.  Sicky me was still quite happy to enjoy the scenic back patio and the laughter of friends while I stared longingly at the pretty bubbles.  I would recommend this as a nice way to start your Sonoma day.

Ledson - We had a different guide from our last two visits, and he was fine.  He tried a little too hard, but the wine is still good according to my husband.  If you go for a visit, have your camera handy and plan to share with someone else as the winery app gets you three free bonus pours on top of the six you already get.

Gundlach Bundshu - Gun Bun was a recommendation from our server at Eiko's.  What a neat place!  The grounds are stunning and vast, and the tasting room is welcoming.  Whoever does their merchandising is spot-on with their offerings.  Great clothing options, neat gifts, and clever logos.  I hear the wine is good, but I didn't see "spectacular" written on anyone's faces.  I think most would enjoy a stop here.

Deerfield Ranch - We wanted our friends to see a wine cave so we brought them to a place we had visited previously.  They enjoyed it, and I still love the living room set-up in the center of the cave.

Restaurants
Eiko's - This a neat sushi restaurant right in downtown Napa.  Great menu, comfortable lounge seating near the bar, and a terrific server in Brooke - she is amazing!  Ask for her if you can.  We stopped by both Friday and Saturday evenings for dinner.  Our group ordered the table-side s'mores from the dessert menu.  Holy cow!  It was almost as bad as not being able to drink wine because my family knows how much I love a good s'more.  Homemade crackers and marshmallow, roasted over smoldering wood. I want to go back when I can actually taste it!

El Dorado Kitchen - We ate brunch on the back patio.  Everyone seemed to really enjoy the food, and it looked fantastic.  I'm sure my brioche french toast was good because my husband said so:)  Really neat place if you are looking for a cool restaurant with good food in downtown Sonoma.

Cadet - Cute little wine and beer bar that we stumbled up on in downtown Napa.  Great wine selection and few different app options would make for a nice stop to get off your feet.

Sunshine Foods Market (boxed lunches) - I've heard many times that Oakville Grocery is another option for picnic lunches, but we returned again to Sunshine because we had a good experience last year.  Definitely worth a look if you are wanting to picnic somewhere.

Suggested Tour Route - Silverado Trail
Because of the location of the wineries, this would make for a great day of tasting: 1) Rombauer with a picnic breakfast, 2) Scheduled visit at Terraces, 3) Mumm for sparkling, and 4) Black Stallion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Solstice - Dawes Glacier, Alaska

If you've ever booked a cruise during the pandemic, you know how frustrating it can be.  In 2019, we booked our Alaska cruise for May 2021. Well, May 2022 was our make-up cruise for the cancelled 2021 sailing.  Better late than never, right? Dawes Glacier - Endicott Arm Pre-cruise First, I’ll hit our pre-cruise stay in Seattle.  We hailed a Lyft from the airport ($50 + tip).  You need to cross the sky bridge and go down one level until you see the green barriers.  The signage was actually great, but several escalators to get there were on the fritz.  Our Lyft dropped us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites near the Space Needle.  The hotel seems newly updated and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. For dinner, we took the advice of the front desk staff and visited Thomas Street Warehouse .  The prices are actually really great for downtown, and they have a cool cocktail menu.  In the morning, we grabbed breakfast tacos at Jack’s BBQ on 9th. The brisket was the best,

Willamette Valley, OR

What is a year without a second trip out to wine country?  Honestly, this was an add-on trip for me as the hubs actually scheduled this for work.  We brought another couple with us so I could have some travel buddies - bonus that it was also an early birthday trip for one of them.  Too bad it rained the ENTIRE time so no great photo opportunities.  I love this area in the Fall, so at the very least, I was able to enjoy the brilliant leaf colors. I don't blog non-travel related things so I want to add a note here.  I started a very part-time gig (like no more than 10 hours per week) at my local wine and liquor store.  We are reviewing current inventory and looking to revamp our offerings, so I turned this into a quasi work trip for me.  I'll be sure to tag the ones that were more of an industry visit as they may not fully represent a normal experience. Also, the COVID visit to Willamette required two new things (to me): reservations and proof-of-vaccination at some places.  Stup

Carnival Magic - Bahamas

After three cancelled cruises thanks to this thing called a pandemic, we booked a couple months out for a 4-day cruise on the Carnival Magic from Port Canaveral, Thursday - Monday.   Good price and easy for us to get to from central Florida.   We purchased the beverage package for this trip since we were planning to stay on the ship most of the time. Parking A very rare occasion, we parked at the port for easy in and out.   Usually we’d book off-site for about half the price, but I didn’t want to deal with a shuttle.   Turns out that the port wasn’t busy – at all! – and the parking was so easy!   Not a bit of traffic, plenty of parking, and a VERY short walk to the ship.   Definitely worth it this time.   We paid at the end of the trip at self-pay kiosk. Room We booked cabin 7347, because if we got quarantined for any reason, I wasn’t about to have an interior room.   Our cabin was a perfect location. Close to an elevator and stairwell, mid-ship.   Easy to get to Alchemy and th